Long Beach, CA
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 20-1197    Version: 1 Name: HR - CalPers POA
Type: Resolution Status: Adopted
File created: 11/11/2020 In control: City Council
On agenda: 12/8/2020 Final action: 12/8/2020
Title: Recommendation to adopt Resolution of Intention to amend the City’s contract with the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) to include a mandatory employee contribution of 3 percent of compensation earnable toward the City's required employer contribution to CalPERS (in addition to the 9 percent statutory employee contribution) pursuant to Government Code Section 20516(a), applicable to Long Beach Police Officers Association Classic Public Safety CalPERS Members; and
Attachments: 1. 120820-R-51sr&att.pdf, 2. RES-20-0161.pdf
Related files: 20-1198
TITLE
Recommendation to adopt Resolution of Intention to amend the City’s contract with the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) to include a mandatory employee contribution of 3 percent of compensation earnable toward the City's required employer contribution to CalPERS (in addition to the 9 percent statutory employee contribution) pursuant to Government Code Section 20516(a), applicable to Long Beach Police Officers Association Classic Public Safety CalPERS Members; and

DISCUSSION
On September 17, 2019, the City Council approved the 2019-2022 successor Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Long Beach Police Officers Association (POA). This new contract includes a provision for Cost Sharing by POA Classic Public Safety CalPERS Members via payroll deductions, pursuant to California Government Code Section 20516(f), effective the start of the first pay period of Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 20) (October 1, 2019). Per this provision, POA CalPERS members will contribute 3 percent of compensation earnable toward the City's required employer contribution to CalPERS in addition to the 9 percent statutory employee contribution already paid by the employee, which will increase the employee's contribution to a total of 12 percent. The parties agreed to pursue a CalPERS contract amendment, as soon as administratively possible, to change the above-described 3 percent cost sharing under Government Code Section 20516(f), to cost sharing of 3 percent of compensation earnable, pursuant to Government Code Section 20516(a).

On October 22, 2019, the City notified CalPERS of its intent to initiate the CalPERS contract amendment process. Upon receipt of further instructions from CalPERS, the City must complete the following steps to finalize the amendment process:

1. City Council adoption of a Resolution of Intention (ROI) with Exhibit Amendment to Contract.
2. Submission of a certified copy of the ROI to CalPERS following City Council adoption.
3. Submission...

Click here for full text