Long Beach, CA
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 21-1031    Version: Name: HR- CalPERS ORD
Type: Ordinance Status: Adopted
File created: 9/27/2021 In control: City Council
On agenda: 11/9/2021 Final action: 11/9/2021
Title: Recommendation to declare ordinance authorizing an amendment to the contract between the City of Long Beach and the Board of Administration of the California Public Employees' Retirement System and authorizing City Manager of said City to execute said amendment for and on behalf of the City of Long Beach, read and adopt as read. (Citywide)
Sponsors: Human Resources
Attachments: 1. 100521-R-42sr&att.pdf, 2. 101221-ORD-22att.pdf, 3. 110921-ORD-61att.pdf, 4. ORD-21-0037.pdf
Date Ver.Action ByActionResultAction DetailsMeeting DetailsVideo
11/9/20213 City Council    Not available Meeting details Video Video
10/12/20212 City Council    Not available Meeting details Not available
10/5/20211 City Council declare ordinance read the first time and laid over to the next regular meeting of the City Council for final readingPass Action details Meeting details Not available
TITLE
Recommendation to declare ordinance authorizing an amendment to the contract between the City of Long Beach and the Board of Administration of the California Public Employees' Retirement System and authorizing City Manager of said City to execute said amendment for and on behalf of the City of Long Beach, read and adopt as read. (Citywide)

DISCUSSION
On August 25, 2020, the City Council approved the 2019-2023 successor Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Long Beach Management Association (LBMA). This new contract includes a provision for Cost Sharing by LBMA Classic Public Safety CalPERS members via payroll deductions pursuant to California Government Code Section 20516(f) effective with the start of the first pay period of Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 20) (October 1, 2019). Per this provision, LBMA Classic Public Safety CalPERS members will contribute 3 percent of compensation earnable toward the City of Long Beach's (City) required employer contribution to CalPERS in addition to the 9 percent statutory employee contribution already paid by the employee, which will increase the employee's contribution to a total of 12 percent. The parties agreed to pursue a CalPERS contract amendment, as soon as administratively possible to change the above-described 3 percent cost-sharing under Government Code section 20516(f), to cost-sharing of 3 percent of compensation earnable, pursuant to Government Code Section 20516(a).

On May 26, 2021, the City notified CalPERS of its intent to initiate the CalPERS contract amendment process. Upon receipt of further instructions from CalPERS, the City must complete the following steps to finalize the amendment process:

1. City Council adoption of a Resolution of Intention with Exhibit Amendment to Contract (attached).
2. Submission of a certified copy of Resolution of Intention to my|CalPERS following City Council adoption.
3. Submission of Form CON-12, Certification of Governing Body’s Action to my|CalPERS following City C...

Click here for full text